Friday, July 19, 2013

One Year Later

One year ago Aly was sent to the hospital due to seizures and then later it was discovered that her brain was dangerously swollen. The next ten days were the worst days of my life. A year later, and thinking about certain parts of it still make me upset, like physically ill. I still get triggered by certain things. I remember so much of it so clearly, but at the time it all seemed to blend together.

Since she left the hospital she has done very well. She has not had a seizure since July. She has been off her seizure medicine since January. She went through an illness with a high fever and never had a reaction. She went under anesthesia in March for her eye surgery and did just fine with it. Her neurologist had originally prescribed a "rescue medicine" in case she had another seizure, but she now doesn't think its necessary. Aly will always be more susceptible to seizures, but we'll deal with them if they come.

I'm not gonna lie, I do worry that the seizures will come back and that we'll be right back where we started. I do worry about Aly probably more than the average mother. We may spoil her a little more, we may go easier on her than other kids. Hopefully we'll relax as she stays healthy and out of the hospital. :)

During the time Aly was sick, I waffled between wanting to document what was happening in pictures, and not wanting any physical reminder of how she looked. She did not look like herself, she wasn't opening her eyes and she was really puffy from medicine they had her on. Yet, she actually was losing weight. However, there is one picture of her at her worst that we have, and I am glad it exists if only to show what she bounced back from.

Aly with breathing tube and EEG hooked up

So, I'm hoping this next year can be about healing and hopefully we can stay out of the hospital. I was excited when we went through May and June without visiting Primary's once. Our neurologist wants to do another MRI next year, and I'm fine with that. Aly is still in Early Intervention, but she is taking a break from her other therapies. She will go back in a month or two. She also will need to start Speech Therapy at some point unless she wakes up talking (who knows, it could happen!)

In the past year I have thought a lot about life, my beliefs, and what it all means to me. Someday I'd like to make a post putting it all into words, but for now, I just want to be happy and once again thank some people who made the darkest, hardest time in my life better. You really learn who loves you in a time like this. People came out of everywhere to show their love and support for us. Strangers were offering assistance, praying and thinking of us. I have never known so much love. 

Aly is the most loved baby I have ever seen. She is so sweet and happy and loving. She will smile at anyone. Everyone loves her. I have never gone to a store without at least one person stopping to tell us how cute she is. All she's been through has not changed her. Every day I think about how lucky I am to be her Mom, and how lucky we are to still have her with us. 


GO ALY!

3 comments:

  1. She's amazing and soooo adorable. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That day was one of the worst days of my life one of my babies was fighting for her life and i would of done anything to trade her places but it is amazing how far she has come she truely is a miracle shes touched so many lives and will continue to touch peoples live and get stronger everyday shes proven to everyone what a real fighter looks like. She is the sweetest little ball of fury and i am forever grateful to have met her. Youre family is amazing and wonderful and only deserve the best in life BIG HUGS ALY....GO ALY!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad that she has made such amazing progress over the last year! She really is such a brave strong girl! Way to go Aly :)

    ReplyDelete