Thursday, August 9, 2012

Landslide

One of the things that helped me the most during Aly's hospital stay was music. I could do an entire post (and probably will) on songs that helped me or that held special meaning for me during this time.

One such song, is Landslide by Fleetwood Mac. While I was pregnant with Aly, I listened to the Dixie Chicks version of the song a lot. My Grandpa Elmer died the same day I found out I was having a girl. The song really hit home for so many reasons. I listened to it once a day for several weeks. I would almost always cry. Now, just thinking about the song, I feel tears start.

Aly turned 9 months on July 22. We decided to really celebrate her birthday and we went to Smith's Marketplace to buy her a present. I wanted to get her some nice blankets instead of the generic hospital blankets. So when they kicked us out of the PICU for shift change we went to the store. On the drive there, the radio played Landslide by the Smashing Pumpkins. This is a song they never play anymore. The Smashing Pumpkins are one of my favorite bands. We took it as a good sign. That was the day she really started turning around, and started opening her eyes again. The next day she left the PICU.

I've heard Landslide a couple more times since then, which is pretty rare, since before then we almost never heard it on the radio. It's like the Universe telling me things are going to be okay. It's funny how the same song can mean so many different things at different times of your life.

Landslide
written by Stevie Nicks

I took my love, I took it down
Climbed a mountain and I turned around
And I saw my reflection in the snow covered hills
Till the landslide brought me down

Oh, mirror in the sky, what is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?


Well, I've been afraid of changing
'Cause I've built my life around you

But time makes you bolder
Even children get older and I'm getting older too

Well, I've been afraid of changing
'Cause I've built my life around you
But time makes you bolder
Even children get older and I'm getting older too
Oh, I'm getting older too

Awh, take my love, take it down
Awh, climb a mountain and turn around
And if you see my reflection in the snow covered hills
Well, the landslide bring it down

And if you see my reflection in the snow covered hills
Well, the landslide bring it down
Oh, the landslide bring it down

GO ALY!

2 comments:

  1. Reading this gave me chills, because last week I was in the car and had on the radio and Landslide came on, and I was thinking how long it had been since I heard anywhere play that song, since it's one of my top 5 favourite songs of all time.

    And then I checked my email and there was an email from you saying that Aly was our of the hospital.

    I remember it clearly because in conversation with my roommate I said "Today is a good day- Aly is doing better and the radio played my favourite song".

    I'm never going to be able to hear that song without thinking of you guys now- which is awesome.

    <3

    Bx

    ReplyDelete